Scott F. LandisScott Landis is the chair of the firm's Finance and Creditors' Rights Group. He counsels business, institutional and individual clients on the acquisition, prosecution, use, protection, and enforcement of trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, and other intellectual and proprietary assets. Scott represents clients in the transfer and licensing of all forms of intellectual and creative property. He assists clients in obtaining clearance of copyrights and other rights for advertising, publishing, entertainment and other purposes. He also negotiates license, development and other agreements for software and technology, and advises his clients in all aspects of Internet and electronic commerce law. Scott also assists the firm's intellectual property litigation team in state and federal litigation involving trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights. His intellectual property clients include individual artists, authors and entrepreneurs; small, medium and family-owned businesses; hospitals, universities and other institutions; and large national and multi-national corporations.
Scott also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to creditors' rights and bankruptcy, advising lenders and other creditors in loan and credit recoveries involving millions of dollars. He represents creditors in collections, foreclosures, repossessions, levies, garnishments, mechanics liens, municipal claims and other commercial litigation. He counsels clients on the attachment, perfection and enforcement of security interests and other liens, and represents landlords in evictions and the collection of rents. He also represents banks and other creditors in all forms of bankruptcy matters, including cash collateral issues, relief from the automatic stay, defending preference and other avoidance actions, and the filing of claims and objections.
Scott also counsels institutions of higher education on matters surrounding intellectual property, privacy issues and computer and network use. Scott guides colleges through the acquisition, prosecution, use, protection, and enforcement of intellectual property. Scott has extensive experience with matters pertaining to copyright and fair use, trademark and brand protection and software and technology licensing. Scott has worked with clients to draft, implement and enforce policies surrounding intellectual property, privacy issues, as well as computer and network access and use. Scott also has experience counseling clients through computer data security breaches.
- The Dickinson School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude; Law Review (editor in chief)
- Millersville University, B.A., magna cum laude
- Landis Valley Associates; board president
- Lancaster County Children and Youth Agency; advisory board vice chair
- Manheim Areas Recreation Commission; member
- Crispus Attucks Neighborhood Organization; board member
- Lancaster Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Annual Dinner Advisory Committee
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lancaster County Bar Association; Corporate, Business and Bankruptcy Section chair
- Commercial Law League
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Trademark Association
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania
Other Professional Experience
- Adjunct professor; Lebanon Valley College, Digital Communications Department